Friday, October 30, 2009

Week Seven- Homemade Oreos/ Halloween Spiders

I wish I would have posted this earlier in the week. I am sure some of you might have appreciated this idea for school snacks etc. I didn't need them until treats for today and didn't even think about posting them sooner.

I got this idea from my mom! (the recipe is from my sister in law, Raquel) When I was a kid every Halloween she would make spiders out of Oreo cookies for our class Halloween parties. I remember helping her frost these and putting red hots for the eyes- good times! I thought about this and thought it would be fun to make out of homemade oreos which are a favorite around here! Here you go, Homemade Oreos made into Halloween Spiders!



Ingredients:
Cookies-
2 pkg Devils Food Cake Mix
1 1/2 cup shortening
4 eggs


Frosting-
8 oz Cream Cheese
2 2/3 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup margarine

Mix cake mix with shortening and eggs. Roll into small balls (about a tbsp) and bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes. Let set on cookie sheet about two minutes before removing to the cooling rack. Mix sugar, margarine, and cream cheese to make frosting. When cookies are cool frost with icing and place two cookies together.

To make into Spiders:

I frosted each side of the cookie a little to give it some "glue". I cut a piece of pull apart licorice in half and used three short pieces for the legs, laying them across the cookie before putting them together. (You can tell that, I probably didn't need to explain it!) I used red decorators gel for the eyes, but you could use red hots stuck on with a little frosting. (no red hots at the commissary)

My Two Cents:

I was in a huge hurry this morning, I was braiding hair, packing lunches, cooking breakfast, and making cookies all at the same time! So, to make it easy I used my medium Pampered Chef cookie scoop. It made very big cookies- almost too big. I thought they were cute, but it would have been more fun to have lots of small ones. When I make these normally I do like to make them this big, because we put them in the freezer- they taste really yummy that way. Using a big scoop you get 2 dozen sandwich cookies. Using a tablespoon you get closer to 3 dozen sandwich cookies.

You can make this recipe using different cake mixes.

One more thing, i love my cookie stone, but don't recommend using it for these. Go Old School and use your regular cookie sheets.

4 comments:

  1. I'm still waiting for the oreos you said you would make me. . . guess I'll be waiting a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum! I've been looking for a good homemade oreo - thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute! We make Homemade Oreos too. But those little spiders are cute. I will have to try those next time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Took me down memory lane for a minute or two or ten....Thanks for reminding me what fun things we used to do when you kids were little.

    ReplyDelete