Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Week Five- Macaroons

My neighbors get to try a lot of the cookies that I make. I take turns taking them a plate each week. One of my neighbors, Jeanne is pregnant and mentioned to me that Macaroons are her favorite. I thought I would try those out this week and see if I could satisfy her prego craving for them!

Here's what you need: (you have to close your eyes and imagine- I forgot to take a picture)

1 14 oz bag of Angel Flake coconut
1 14 oz can of Sweetened Condensed Milk (don't forget to lick the lid- YUM!!! Don't cut yourself!)
1 tsp almond extract
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips (optional)

Pre heat oven to 325 You need to prepare your cookie sheet- either grease it WELL or line it with parchment paper.

Mix all the ingredients in a bowl till combined. Use a cookie scoop and drop about a teaspoon onto your prepared cookie sheet.

Bake for 15 to 20 minutes You want these to be very golden brown on the edges. Immediately remove cookies from the pan if you didn't use paper. They fall apart while you are doing this- don't worry! Once they have cooled a little you can reshape them and they will still hold together. You can dip these in the melted chocolate of you want.

My two cents:
I am not a macaroon expert, this was the first time I've made them and only eaten them once or twice. That being said, I thought they were good- not great!
I liked the Almond flavor in these, it gave it a nice "surprise" taste, Jeanne thought it was too much. I dipped half of mine in chocolate. (the not as pretty ones) This makes two dozen cookies. The first batch I used parchment paper and the second I greased my cookie sheet. I thought the first batch was much better, they held together better, and looked nicer. These are pretty easy to make. As always I love to hear what you think. . .

2 comments:

  1. This blog is a great idea Alisha. I am looking forward to all of your future posts. I just got done making the peanut butter surprise cookies. They turned out great thanks to your step by step instructions (you know my baking skill level)! I am taking them to Skyler's tonight since he is feeding the missionaries. Hopefully they will like them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun cookies. I love making cookies, its my biggest weakness. I just tried a new recipe for cookie lime bars. I'll bring you the recipe. they were heavenly!!!!

    ReplyDelete