Thursday, January 28, 2010

Week Thirteen- Andes Mint Cookies

I got this recipe from a friend in Texas, Heather, and they have been a favorite around here since the first time I made them. Thanks for the recipe Heather.

Andes Mint Cookies


3/4 cup margarine ( I have used butter flavored Crisco and they still turn out)
2 T water
1 1/2 cup brown sugar
2 cups or one package chocolate chips (I have only ever used semi sweet- if you try it with Milk Chocolate I would love to hear how they turn out!)

Melt all of these ingredients over medium heat on the stove till well combined. Then add:

2 beaten eggs
Combine in a separate bowl the add:

1 1/4 tsp soda
2 1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt

Mix again until well combined. Roll the dough in plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for at least 1 hour. Bake at 350 for 12 minutes. While cookies are still hot, place half of an Andes mint on top and swirl around.

Just a note: I am not trying to point out the obvious here, but just in case someone is
wondering. . . Why do I have to combine my dry ingredients before adding them to the wet ones? It just dirties another bowl and adds a step right!?!? Wrong!! It is important because doing this gets all those ingredients like flour, salt etc all mixed together evenly. Then they will mix into your dough even. You DO NOT want to bite into a big lump of baking soda- Yuck!


My two cents: If I am feelings really nice I will put a whole Andes mint on top, Bryce likes them that way! Also, the first time I made this I wrapped the dough in plastic and I thought that was a pain. Now, I just leave it in the bowl and chill it. Then when I am ready to make cookies I let the dough set for about 20 minutes to soften then use my cookie scoop and scoop it out.

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment