Saturday, November 21, 2009

Week Ten- Apple Peanut Butter Cookies


Wow!! I am into double digits- week ten! I am later than I would like posting this week. Like all of you, I have had a busy week preparing for Thanksgiving and class parties, etc etc. . .

This weeks cookies come from the Taste of Home magazine. I love that magazine. It is full of recipes from home cooks all over, and the recipes are usually easy, quick and still yummy. (TOF isn't paying me to endorse them) In fact- let's do a give away! I'm already in the Christmas spirit. Leave a comment at the end of this post and I will enter you into a drawing for a one year subscription to Taste of Home- from me! I will choose the winner Wednesday afternoon and post the winner on the blog. You will love this magazine, so make sure to enter!!

On to the cookies! I liked these a lot. I haven't done a lot of Peanut Butter and I know there are some lovers out there, so these are for you. The apple in these isn't overpowering, it really just makes the cookie moist and gives it a different kind of sweet. Come to think of it- could you count these as healthy since they have apples and peanut butter? I think so! Enjoy eating your healthy cookies!
Apple Peanut Butter Cookies
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup chunky peanut butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 cup peeled grated apple
In a large bowl, cream shortening, peanut butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Combine the dry ingredients and gradually add to the creamed mixture. Mix well. Stir in the apple.
Drop by rounded tablespoons onto greased cookie sheet and bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes. Cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes before moving to cooling rack. Makes about 2 dozen.
My two cents- I doubled the recipe and used a large apple, it was exactly a cup and I got 5 dozen cookies.

11 comments:

  1. ok,you should totally choose me 'cuz i hooked you up with your very first subscription. i don't think they ever charged us for that. did they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I think you should choose me because Heidi is already an AWESOME cook and doesn't need any help :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well you should choose me because I LOVE food the MOST...I agree with Anna, that Heidi girl doesn't need magazines...she can dream up scrumptious food in her sleep, literally!!! Love this idea for a blog, I just made your snickerdoodles this week and they were a TOTAL hit with my family and unfortunately with me as well!
    -jenna

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cool you have this blog! I'll definitely be checking back when it comes time for Holiday baking. That's a big deal at our house! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you should choose me since I'm your #1 mom and I try almost every single recipe that you post out there. I'm your biggest fan and the fan that tries your recipes the most next to your little family. Ok, Dad tries the results of those recipes too but he wouldn't care about a magazine! Choose me please, Please, PLEASE, pretty please!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh! Ooh! Me! Me! Me! I love Taste of Home but don't have a subscription yet (I don't know why...maybe working on our home has taken all my time and efforts.) Anyway, I was also going to ask if we have a recipe we want you to try, where do we post it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. You KNOW I need that subscription!!! Maybe it'll motivate me to cook and then you can reap the benefits :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh I love Taste of Home!I would love to win. I love cooking magazines!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to be entered. I need to learn to cook, but I really just like contests!! Is it against ethics if a family member wins?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will e-mail the recipe to facebook as I don't have your e-mail address. Toodles!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I sent the e-mail to you on facebook, but realized I didn't put the baking time and temperature for the second recipe...375 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Here in Santa Fe I have to cook them for 15 minutes to get them done. I love to freeze them and pull one out at a time so I don't eat them all at once. :0)

    ReplyDelete