Saturday, September 12, 2009

Week One- Snickerdoodles

I know what you are thinking- "Snickerdoodles!" I wanted to start my Cookie experiment, but we just moved and I am missing a lot of my kitchen stuff. (It gets here Wed!!) So, I thought I would start with something simple. These are what I think are the best Snickerdoodles. I have tried a lot of variations on this type of cookie and this recipe from a good friend is my favorite. Besides being very simple they are always soft. Today was rainy and it felt so much like Fall, the smell of these cookies baking enhanced that "Autumn Feel." Give them a try and let me know what you think! Thanks to Jeanne for lending her Kitchenaid!



Mix Together:
1 cup Soft Shortening
2 eggs
1 1/2 cup sugar
Don't rush this step, getting this nice and creamy and blended is important!

Sift together:
2 3/4 Cup sifted flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 tsp salt
Add the sifted ingredients to the sugar mixture. Mix well, roll dough into 1 tablespoon sized balls. Mix 2 Tbsp sugar with 2 tsp cinnamon. Roll balls into the cinnamon sugar. Place about 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 400 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes. (mine are 8 exactly) The cookies are soft when they come out, and are puffed up, then they flatten out and have a cracked top. I love the cracked top- it looks so homemade!

3 comments:

  1. Well, I thought I posted to this already, but it's not showing up.

    These cookies look YUMMY!!! Wish you could send me some! OK--I'll try the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After spending all day in the kitchen putting up produce from the garden, I decided to make these for a treat--they ARE my favorite kind of cookie!! They were really good and super easy to make. I had them together and baked in no time flat. Definetely a keeper on the recipe and will make them again. Thanks for sharing the recipe. LOVED them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried these last night the they were delish! The first batch burnt (my oven only took 6 minutes instead of 8) but after that I was prepared. Usually I prefer cooking to baking but with this pregnancy I've turned into Betty Crocker. Keep posting! :)

    ReplyDelete